After a few days of doing small tasks and waiting for epoxy to dry, I think I am poised to really close in on the Dory 12 project. Today I finished up gluing the three layers of rubrails. I also got the skeg mounted under the aft end of the boat. This is an important feature if the boat is to be rowed. You can see it in the close-up shot below.
I also made up the mast partner, drilled the 2-inch hole in it for the mast, got the aft thwart made and locations marked for both of these. I drilled and am gluing the mast step to attach to the floor of the boat. I finished fashioning the tiller and fine-tuned its attachment to the rudder. I varnished the tiller and put another coat of varnish on the rudder and the mast.
The pic below shows the bow after I trimmed and shaped the ends of the rubrails. It’s kind of hard to see, but I am pleased with how that came out. Sorry about the mess on the floor!
By: pcguy58 on August 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm | General | No comment